Tuesday, September 25, 2007

"Behold... PLODD!"


In high school, I created a character called PLODD who was born of boredom and a hankering to simply draw a really bizarre character who didn't fit into the mold of a typical superhero. Basically, he was an amalgamation of a bunch of doodles -- taking the most bizarre elements and mashing them together. He originally ended up having a full bodysuit, scuba mask with oxygen tanks and breathing tubes, goggles, plastic head "feathers", a kilt, big-ass boots and a giant hammer. I cooked up a whole backstory and some plot outlines and begin drawing a comic with the help of one of my friends, but it was abandoned due to my realizing I really didn't know what I was doing. Plodd's been simmering in the back of my mind ever since, and I've always wanted to revisit him, so why wait any longer?

I did this sketch while basking in the warmth of the new fall TV season. I kept most of the elements of the old Plodd, though I've simplified and streamlined him (losing the scuba mask and hoses). His hammer is now gas-powered (linked to the tank on his back), and his boots aren't quite so big and bulky. I'm going to try and dig out all the plot outlines and scripts I wrote and see what I can make of them. More Plodd to come, hopefully.

No comments: